Summer is just around the corner bringing us longer daylight hours, picnics, vacations, amusement park visits, weekend trips, and more. Home maintenance is usually the farthest thing from people’s minds during summertime, but it shouldn’t be. Summer is the perfect time to focus on projects that keep your home in tip top shape and also reduce the possibility of major issues in the future.
It’s always a good idea to take a detailed look at your home and complete some basic maintenance that will save you thousands in costly repairs in the long run. Harsh weather and freezing temperatures can wreak havoc on your driveway, sidewalks, and patio. Cracks and fissures can form in your hardscaping during winter when water freezes and expands. When this process is allowed to repeat, the damage continues to worsen until you have a bigger problem than a few cracks that can easily be sealed. Prevent major repairs by taking time this summer to focus on some outdoor projects.
- Check your home’s siding, wood trim, and brick/stone work for any abnormalities like cracks, splits, soft spots, or rotting wood.
- Powerwash the exterior of your home.
- Touch up any cracks in brick and stone work, especially in the foundation, to prevent future leaks.
- Look closely at your window and door frames to make sure there are no new cracks or gaps that could cause your home to become less energy efficient.
- Look at your walkways for cracks or shifting concrete and repair them before winter as freezing water can continue to break up the material.
- Reseal your asphalt driveway to keep water from seeping in and causing cracks that significantly reduce the life of your driveway.
Summer is also a great time to spruce up your home by completing new projects. These can add value to your home and increase your curb appeal.
- Build a new deck or patio on your property.
- Consider replacing old windows or front doors.
- Repair or replace your roofing.
- Complete any chimney repairs like repointing bricks or stone and adding a chimney cap to keep animals out.
- Create or expand parking space by installing an asphalt driveway or parking pad.
No matter your summer plans, make time to fit in important summer maintenance projects that are sure to extend the life and functionality of your home. If you notice any problems that need addressed, contact us and we’ll have our expert staff evaluate your home repair needs.